London Zones And Traveling

London Zones And Traveling

How To Pay For Transport Outside Your Normal Transport Zone

There are a number of circumstances where you might need to travel outside your normal Transport for London (TfL) travel zone. Often this could be for local business reasons; for example, if there’s an out-of-hours meeting which you can’t avoid. Or it might be to visit a job or client. It gave its name to Dover Harbour, as may be seen on coins of this port with the legend Dovor Flavium  while. Daily newspapers include the independent Metro, paid-for local newspaper Kent on Sunday, and freesheet City Life.

How To Save Money On Travel To Central London From Zones 2-6

The London Travelcard is offering a great deal on travelling around London if your journey originates outside central London, My City of London ( I have created this tool for you to calculate the exact cost saving you would make by using the travel card instead of an Oyster card or paper ticket. If you typically set off from outside of zone 1, you're working with an Oyster card and paper tickets then the travelcard can save you a lot of money.

The same goes for people who take regular tube rides from different zones. Central London is big. Very big. London’s Travelcard isn’t valid in central London, so it’s confusing to know how much you need to buy for your trips in and out of the centre. I walk through the zones in central London and show you which ticket you need to buy for a day-trip outside of central London. It could save you £3.

60 or, if you’re like me and take an occasional trip to Westfield, a great deal more. If you have a Travelcard that covers the whole of London (i. e. zones 1-6) rather than the borders of London, it’s far more useful on buses.  Now if you live close to zone 3, then this might not apply to you. But what a lot of tourists don’t know is that if you can get a Travelcard or Oyster card for any London zone (2-6), then this will work on many bus routes throughout central London free of charge.

One of my favourite ways to save money on travel is to purchase an adult-rate Travelcard for London. It allows you unlimited travel every day on the bus services in central London at a fixed price, ie. no matter where you go, how often you travel or for how long, it's still the same, flatfare. If you're not familiar with the London Bus system, it's one of the slickest in the world, allowing you to whiz from a huge number of destinations to another for free.

London Zone Map

This is a map of the London zones. It shows you which zone every station in London is in. Find something interesting? Type the station name into the search box and see which zone it's in. You can also click on any station to see more information about it. If you don't see a particular station on the map, that means it's located outside of the London fare zones. If you'll be in London for a while, you might want to check out the zones on the London Tube map.

Here's a zone map. Click the links below to see that area.  Zone 1 (Central London) --- £19. 20 Zone 2 (Zone 1 + part of zone 2) --- £12. 10 Zone 3 (most of zone 2) --- £7. 30. London is divided into six zones on the tube map. Each zone has a different colour and number. They are Central, Bakerloo, Circle, District, Hammersmith & City and Metropolitan. London zone map.  You can see the zone on the tube map.

The zones are marked in either white or grey. Scroll around or type in a station name in the search box to see the zone. To see the zone you are in, just look at the tube map. The zones are marked in either white or grey. Scroll around or type in a station name in the search box to see the zone. If you have a Travelcard zone 1-2 this is all fine, but what if your destination are in zones 2-6?.

Paper Travelcards

The paper version of the Travelcard is designed for train and bus travel only. You need to buy an extension ticket from the underground station ticket machine if you want to travel within London by Underground, DLR or Overground. This extends your paper Travelcard automatically for a further hour so you can continue to make journeys on these services. The tickets sold in London for zones 1-4 are not valid in zones 5 and 6.

Pay As You Go Oyster Card

Pay as you go (or PAYG) is a type of fare payment for transport services that allows passengers to pay for individual journeys, without the need to buy a ticket or use a season ticket. The Oyster card system used in London are an example of a pay as you go system. In 2009/2010, over 45 million journeys were made on the pay as you go option which accounted for 31% of all time travelled with London Underground.

If your route originated within Greater London, it's cheaper to buy a Ticket for Zones 1-6 that covers the journey and any onward travel in full. You will have to pay a minimum of £8. 60 for this, although it is available as a season ticket; four weekly, monthly or annual tickets at a reduced rate. If your route began outside of London, you are better off purchasing an Oyster card and paying as you go.

To view fares and see the daily capping charge, visit TfL's Oyster and contactless info page. The amount needed to cover your zones depends on how far you travel in one day. It is the same cost as a paper ticket for each single journey. If you have not got a PAYG Oyster card, or not sure how much to top-up your card with, you should first make sure that your card is topped up enough to cover the whole of your journey.

You can pay as you go on Oyster between any two zones using pay as you go (if you are making multiple journeys within a certain single zone. If you need to travel between zones 5-6, you will need an extension ticket, available from the ticket machines on the underground platforms. I'm writing this post to show you how to save £££'s on day to day travel costs in Central London if you are based in zones 2-6.

Stations In Two Zones

Stations sitting on the border of two zones tend to have a white box around their name on the tube map. The reason for this is that different ticket prices apply to different parts of the station. For example, if you are travelling to Farringdon Station and using a rail card, you would pay reduced fares from only the first part of the station. If you travelled to King’s Cross St Pancras with a rail card, you would pay reduced fares from only the mid section of the station.

It’s quite likely that you have a zone 1-6 Travelcard. This travelcard allows you to travel to stations in zones 1-6. However on the tube map if a station is on the border of two zones it will have a white name box around it. This means that you need a ticket from each of the zones which correspond to each border, two tickets in total. You've probably seen these stations on the tube map and wondered what's so special about them.

Most of the time, these are just ordinary stations like any other, but there are a few exceptions. You can buy tickets to two different zones from these stations, and you don't need an Oyster card or ticket. The White Zone is a new area added to the tube map in order to simplify payments so that you can travel simply and easily (the above text has been taken from TFL's page). In the center of London, there are eleven stations that cross two zones, and they have a white box around their names on the tube map.

Travelcards On An Oyster Card

I live in Zone 6 on a weekly Travelcard, which meant I could travel anywhere in Zones 1-6. The thing is, I rarely get out of zone 6, and in fact, have spent the majority of my life here. It was an awesome for a student with little money to only pay for one travel card (the weekly travel card) that covered four zones (1-6). This meant that if I wanted to explore the rest of the city it would be more cost effective for me to purchase a PAYG card for one single journey, rather than buying a daily or a monthly travelcard.

The pay as you go fare is the same cost as a one day Travelcard for zones 1-6, so you can't use pay as you go to cover the entire cost of travelling outside your zone. But if your last zone covers Greater London, and you want to travel to another nearby zone, you could top up your Oyster card with pay as you go to cover your journey on Tube, DLR or rail services.

If you already have a weekly Travelcard for zones 1-6 and want to travel outside these zones, top-up the required amount on your Oyster card with some Pay as you go money to cover the cost of travelling between the last zone on your Travelcard and your destination. If you already have a weekly Travelcard for certain zones and want to visit a place outside that zone, top-up your Oyster card with some Pay as you go money to cover the cost of travelling between the last zone on your Travelcard and the zone you want to visit.

What you need: an Oyster card, a weekly Travelcard for zones 1-6 – don’t worry if you don’t have one yet, just top-up with pay as you go cash – and Pay as you go money. If you already have a weekly Travelcard for zones 1 to 3 and want to visit zone 5, top-up your Oyster card with £7. 00 of Pay as you go money. These are. There are two kinds of zones on the tube, named and numbered zones.

Weekly Or Monthly Travelcards

If you live in zone 4 and want to visit zone 1, you’ll need a large Travelcard for zones 1-6 or a day Travelcard. Huh? Don’t panic – it’s not as confusing as it first sounds. Once you understand the zones, it’s really quite simple. There are four different zones in total, each with their own unique colour. Each zone has its own price when bought individually. Zone 1, 2 and 3 are the inner London zones (green, yellow and red respectively) and zone 4 is the rest of the city (violet).

For my regular travel routes I didn’t use anything that required me to zone hop frequently as I discovered some of the Travel. If you live in zone 1 and want to visit zone 2 and 3, you should buy a weekly or monthly Travelcard covering zones 1-2-3. So don't accidentally buy a Travelcard only covering zones 1-2 (even though it is cheaper). The fine for traveling without a valid Travelcard is £20. This would obviously wipe out any savings you may have made.

Read about the different types of Travelcards at TFL. There are two types of travelcard lines those with a white cross and those with a yellow cross (like in the picture above). All Travelcards with a white cross only cover zones 1 to 3. The ones with a yellow cross cover zones 1 to 5. In both cases, these travelcards are valid throughout the Capital Transport region, which means they are also valid on trains and trams.

You need a Travelcard zone 1-2 (orange) if you live in zone 3 and you want to visit zones 1, 2 and 3. If you're in zone 3 you'll have to get a Travelcard zone 4+ (purple). If you're in zone 4 and want to visit zones 4-6, then your best option is getting a Travelcard for zones 4+ (purple). If you're staying in zone 2 and want to visit a museum in zone 1 an off-peak day Travelcard is insufficient, you need a Travelcard that is valid for zones 1,2 and 3.

Please don't assume that a Travelcard for zones 1 & 2 will cover your journey, as it may not. Again, check here. Theoretically, it should be cheaper to buy a weekly Travelcard that covers zones 1-6 as appose to a monthly Travelcard that covers all of zones 1-8. When you look at the TfL website this is partly true. Tickets to these stations cost slightly more. The free Brighton & Hove Independent and the i paper are also distributed widely within the city.

What London Transport Zones Do I Need?

Transport for London provides a useful website called find the closest underground or train station. You can enter your accommodation address or postcode and based on the location of underground stations this will show you the zones that you require. For example my accommodation is located in zone 3 and to travel to zone 1 I would need a ticket valid for zones 1-3. The same applies to the opposite journey. If I wanted to travel from zone 1 to zone 3 I would need a ticket valid for zones 1-4, since zone 4 is not reached by any ofLondons underground lines.

What zones do I need? In London there is a transport system called the London Underground or better know as the Tube. It offers fast and safe transport around London. The zones are numbered and they match up with the areas on a map of London. The type of zones you need to travel depends on where your accommodation is in relation to the stations and tourist attractions that you want to visit. For a good overview of the London transport Zones search this page.

This can be helpful for thinking about where you want to stay inLondon. London accommodation is very expensive, but it doesn’t have to cost a lot to spend time here. Hotels and hostels outside of the main zones will often be cheaper. What London transport zones do I need?  Find the closest underground or train station to your accommodation. Then find the zone of the station you want to travel to. If youre visiting London for sightseeing or to shop this will probably be zone 1.